Student Showcase, The Sound of Showtunes!
The Sound of Showtunes is an adult-only, summer performance opportunity for our 16+ students. The show will be held “in house” at ACOD. Students can create their own act using any Showtune that speaks to them, classic or modern!
If you are interested in being part of a group act, we are offering a 4 week mini-series for students to work on pre-set choreography on double point lyra. Find info and registration on our adult aerial dance page.
Rehearsal: Saturday, August 5th, 5 to 8pm (exact times TBD)
Show Day: Saturday, August 12th, 5 to 8pm (exact times TBD)
- Registration open for current ACOD students only ages 16+
- Any student of any level can participate in the showcase. Please see below for some additional stipulations based on your level.
- Beginner adult students. You are able to participate in the showcase! However, you will need to create a performance routine. This is best done via private lesson with your coach, and supplemented with open gyms to practice. You will pick a song (no more than 3-4 min recommended) and in approx. 2-3 private lessons (depending on length of song) you can choreograph your performance. Email us to get your private lessons scheduled.
- Int + Adult students without a choreography class component. It is recommended that you do 1 private lesson with your coach to help with a routine, but you can put this together yourself if preferred during open gyms.
- Of your choice; 2 ½ – 4 ½ mins in length.
- Youtube link or final cut song must be emailed to the studio no later than July 22nd!!! Please note that in order for us to format everyone’s music and make it a seamless experience, you will not be able to participate in the show if you don’t have your music turned in by 7/22.
Fee to Perform:
- $30. Covers rehearsal and show day production costs. It does not include tickets!! See below for ticket information.
- $20 for students enrolled in the lyra choreography mini series.
- Fee is due no later than 7/22. Please use the registration button below to sign up and pay.
Practice Time (Open Gyms)
- Thursday, 3-6pm and/or Sunday, 12-3pm. Open gyms for “Showtunes” students discounted from $15 to $10 through the show. Sign up for open gym on our schedule page
- Tickets are not included in the production fee.
- Tickets may be purchased for $10 at the door, venmo or cash.
- Seating is first come, first serve general admission. Limited to 40 seats.
- Costumes are not provided by ACOD! There is no requirement to purchase anything fancy or special for the showcase – your regular workout attire is fine. However, if you’d like to purchase something special here are some guidelines for safe aerial costumes! If you have a costume question, please email us. Also be sure you have your costume for dress rehearsal!
Should provide appropriate coverage to prevent burns (specifically, belly coverage)
Should NOT impede hand grip, foot pinch, or vision (for example, long skirts that could get tangled in the apparatus or fly up over your face).
No sequins, zippers, buttons, etc. in the Silks or Sling due to likely damaging of the silk material. Sequins are fine with bar apparatus such as Trapeze & Lyra.